Tuesday, November 14, 2006

propaganda, jackhammers and roaring engines

I think I’m living in the noisiest city in the world. Japan has a serious problem with noise pollution and I think I’m living in the heart of it.

About three weeks ago the city of Naha started tearing down a theatre located right in front of our apartment, this is what it looks like today.

Construction starts around 7:30 am and finishes at sundown. So much for a nice relaxing time in Okinawa. The theatre will probably be complete by summer 2007 which by that time I hope to be back in TO all settled into a new job.

When night falls down on this noisy little town, motorcycle gangs hit the streets and bless us with they’re little man syndrome. Apparently the person with the loudest and longest revving ability is the most admired…or so he thinks. I can’t count the many times I’ve been jolted out of a deep sleep to the sound of roaring engines. They just park themselves in front of Lawsons convenience store and rev their engines as loud as humanly possible. The later in the evening the better. Motorcycle gangs are a problem in Okinawa, the police try to catch them but end up in high speed chases and lose.

It also appears to be election time so we have the pleasure of hearing announcements on loud speakers about every 10 minutes down Kokusai street. I think I’m slowly going insane.

Listening to Propaganda, Jackhammers and Roaring Engines – Naha City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home