Saturday, April 15, 2006

missing food

There’s a nice food shop in Saitama-Shintoshin where I can but some lovely foreign goods. I went in there this evening to buy some Dijon mustard and Celestial Seasoning tea and I was delighted to find some green salsa sauce and taco chips!!! Of course they do cost a mint but I bought them as a small treat for my taste buds. I can’t remember the last time I was so excited about food. My roommate Amy was laughing at me because I was soooooo happy about chips and salsa…no seriously, I’m so excited right now. Ok, here I go…first test…BLARGH!!! It doesn’t taste like delicious Herdez! I’m gonna have to add some Tabasco. Spice is a problem…you need to carry a bottle of hot sauce in your pocket if you want any kick.

Here are some foods I have been missing as of late:

Breakfast at Mimi’s restaurant
Gandhi Roti
Island Food Patties
Sandwich Box
Epicure
cheese
Irene’s delicious cooking
brie and avocado sandwiches at Squirrly’s
Beaconsfield brunches
falafel with grape leaves
poutine
Creemore
mint chocolate.

I don’t think I can take rice, noodles and bread for much longer and I’ve only been here 3 months! Sigh, I’ll be ok. For now I’ll just keep adding to the list of things I can’t get my hands on here. I think Matt and I might go on a quest for Indian food on Monday evening. A girl named Stacey and her boyfriend Eddie from Pickering just moved in downstairs and they found an all you can eat place in Shinjuku. Tandoori chicken here I come…hold the rice please.
Xo

d

Listening to Tapes n’ Tapes – The Loon

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are 300,000 restaurants in tokyo. you will find more variety!

-dave

Sunday, 16 April, 2006  
Blogger Delphine Roussel said...

hrmm, ok dave. i want you to come back here and find me a restaurant that sells poutine with real cheese curds...i don't think you can even find that in toronto. rowsom?

i'm not knocking the delicious sushi but when you have bread, soup, noodle and rice dishes once a day for three months you start craving some things you can't get your paws on very easily. sometimes you just want a little taste of home.

xo
d

Monday, 17 April, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this:
* Beckers Operated by JR, these fastfood burger restaurants are often found in and near JR stations in greater Tokyo and Yokohama. Beckers offers made to order burgers and Menchi burgers... They also offer Poutine, which is of course a French Canadian snack. French fries with cheese. The chilli topping needs to be tried.

no guarantee of real cheese curds (as opposed to processed? i had some poutine at the library pub last month... hit the spot)

-dave

Monday, 17 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home