Monday, March 13, 2006

Africa in Japan

Time is starting to fly over here and I can’t believe Dave gets here in one week. We plan to go to Kyoto which is going to be a nice change from the daily grind. It’s tough, whenever I have time off all I want to do is laundry, go grocery shopping and relax to a movie or two. It’s quite sad to think I’ve only been to Toyko about 4 times in 6 weeks, I guess I’m preparing for Dave’s whirlwind tour. It’s going to be so great having 5 days off to explore some temples and view the beginning stages of cherry blossom season.

I haven’t seen a rock show in 2 months and this has got to change soon. Concerts here are a little high in price so I’m waiting for something I’m willing to pay a lot of money for. Regular Lee’s Palace-type shows average about $60 - $70 here…ouch! Right now the only tempting shows are Kings of Convenience or Arctic Monkeys but the tickets are about $60, I’ll have to think about it. Of course I could always opt for the fromage and see Toto for $75. I could bob my head to such hits as Rosanna, Pamela, I’ll Be Over You, Hold The Line and of course Africa.


I hear the drums echoing tonight
But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
She’s coming in 12:30 flight
The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
I stopped an old man along the way
Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say, hurry boy, it’s waiting there for you

Chorus:
It’s gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what’s right
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what’s deep inside, frightened of this thing that I’ve become

Chorus
(instrumental break)
Chorus
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had


Wow, I’ve never read the lyrics to that song before….interesting. I always think of the writer when I read lyrics. Where were they? What were they thinking? What books were they reading at the time? My guess is maybe National Geographic and a good dose of Discovery channel although it didn’t exist when the song was written. Hrmmm maybe The Alchemist? Maybe the writer had some travel brochures on his or her coffee table that morning? Oh dear, why am I analyzing Toto lyrics? I must find something better to do with my time.


Another interesting show that caught my eye is the 80’s Dance Pop Summit. Did you know you can also catch Belinda Carlisle and Rick Astley together for the low cost of $80? I’m not going to quote you any lyrics, all I need is to see the name Rick Astley to have Never Gonna Give You Up in my head…how’bout you?

So yeah, not too much is new. My work branch had a little welcome Delphine and Stacey party in Iwatsuki last night. We went to an izakaya, drank plenty of beers and gin and tonics and sang. It could have easily turned into another all nighter but I had to be at work for 10am this morning. I got home to a couple of tipsy roommates and ended up on MSN for a good couple of hours spewing too many truthful words to the new man in my life.

Today I worked then went to Omiya where I bought myself some Celestial Seasons tea at a specialty shop. I got home, watched Walk The Line and took a nice long cat nap. It’s 10:30pm and my roommate Shaggy and I are watching a really famous program called Smap. Today’s guest is the latest Japanese Olympic Gold figure skater. I don’t know what to compare this program to, perhaps Regis and Kelly meets the cooking channel? Celebrities are invited to sit and eat a variety of dishes by top notch Japanese chefs. That’s all I could understand. They make a sour face if they don’t like it and smile if it’s to their liking. Laugh tracks kick in here and there. Good times.

Listening to Toto’s Greatest Hits

1 Comments:

Blogger msflowerlegs said...

i couldn't help but notice the phrase "new man in my life". hello!!!

Monday, 13 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home