Monday, February 13, 2006

californiaaaa


Monday February 13, 2006

Tradition here in Japan states that St.Valentine’s Day is actually for the men. Women buy men chocolates and one month from now on March 14th men return the favor with candy or lingerie. So, today I went to Omiya Station where there’s a Lumini department store and bought my coworkers some chocolates for tomorrow. There are many treats to eat at work on a regular basis. The boys are always getting interesting flavored cakes and candies from their students, naturally they share : )

Today was the first day I had to work mildly hungover and I did alright if I do say so myself. Nothing a little Starbucks mocca couldn’t help.

Sunday night was my first so called club night in Tokyo. My roommate Amy invited me out with friends from her Nova orientation class and we had a good time. I felt like a giant towering over everyone and it didn’t help that I was wearing my work cloths. The heels I was wearing weren’t really the best choice. It was freezing outside and we had a little trouble finding the place but the power of text messaging helped get us there.

I wasn’t feeling too social after a long day at work and my feet were killing me so I decided to pull out my digital camera and geek out for a while. Amy’s friends thought I was a bit strange putting my camera up on shelves and snapping longish exposure pics. She said I was an “artist” to which they responded with “ooooooohhh”. So yeah, I guess I’m now Amy’s strange artist roommate. I’m comfortable with this. I guess I’ve been in my Toronto bubble so long I completely forgot what it’s like to live outside of such an artistic community. Of course there are many artists living here, I just haven’t made contact with any yet. I did exchange emails with a cute Japanese DJ that night, he checked out the blueScreen website while we were at the club and he was so thrilled. Perhaps maybe we’ll hang out soon.

So, when you meet a fellow teacher the same questions always come up.

1) Where are you teaching?

2) Where do you live?

3) Where are you from?

I’ve had this discussion about 15 times in three weeks...

Instructor A – Hi I’m Matt

Instructor B – Hey I’m Delphine

Matt – I’m sorry?

DelphineDel feeen

Matt – Pleased to meet you

Delphine – Pleased to me you too

Matt – So you work for Nova?

Delphine – Yup and you?

Matt – Yeah me too.

Delphine – Where are you working?

Matt – Yoyogi

Delphine – Hrmm?

Matt – It’s on the Saikyo line, just after Shinjuku.

Delphine – Ahh, ok. So where are you living?

Matt – Oh I live at Nishinippori.

Delphine – (blank look on her face)

Matt – The next station after Tabata

Delphine – (looks clueless)

Matt – It’s on the Saikyo line too, just a little to the north/east.

Delphine – Ah

Matt – Where are you working?

Delphine – I work at Iwatsuki (pronounced e watt ski), it’s a nice little place.

I like that it’s small and quiet, some of the branches sound really busy.

Matt – Yeah mine’s alright.

Delphine – I live at Yono, it’s just below Omiya on the Keihin-Tohoku line.

Matt – Oh (clueless) So where are you from?

Delphine – I’m from Toronto, Canada.

Matt – Oh yeah, I’m from Minnesota, Missouri

Delphine – Oh yeah. So how long have you been here?

Matt – It’s been 5 months.

Delphine – I’ve been here 3 weeks.

Matt – Wow, only three weeks! How are you liking Japan?

Delphine – It’s pretty good and you.

Matt – Yeah, it’s alright.

Delphine – How long are you staying?

Matt – I think a year, I don’t really know yet…

It’s quite repetitive and no one really likes going through the drill but I guess it’s the best ice breaker.

I’m hiding out in my room, listening to David Bowie. Both of my roommates have the day off so they’re doing their laundry etc. I feel it’s best to stay out of the way. I don’t work until 5pm this evening so I think I’ll catch up on some writing and perhaps attack my mini casio at some point.

My roommates and I watched three episodes of The OC back to back last night while sipping tea and nibbling on chocolate goodies. I had a small moment while my butt was numbing on the yoga matt I had placed on the floor. I looked at my surroundings and smiled. Who knew I would one day be lying on the floor of a small apartment on the outskirts of Tokyo watching the OC with two American gals hearing “California here we ccccccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooommmmee” ? Life can be so strange.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Del Feeeeeen. You know. The Farmer in the Dell? Motto tsuyoi nomimono o kudasai!

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon March!...don't let me down...
JH

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Blogger Delphine Roussel said...

Judd, actually it's Dolphin, pronounced Doruphin.
Please translate your Japanese phrase, I don't know what you're saying. I said kudasai when I was ordering a beer last night, my memory is a little foggy. Does it mean please? Are you politely asking me to nominate you for having the best motto? If so, what motto would that be?

Justin, are we going to tour Europe yet? Set something up and I just may come home early : )I miss you and I'm sad I'm going to miss your Drake show. Where's that big email you've been promising me?

Cheers guys
xo
d

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bring us stronger drinks please!"

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger Delphine Roussel said...

I'll use it this evening...

Motto tsuyoi nomimono o kudasai! Hiccup! Domo arigato gozaimasu!
Biru! yeah

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger msflowerlegs said...

it's no Angel or Buffy, but I suppose the OC will have to do for your guilty pleasure purposes.

Friday, 17 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home