Wednesday, February 01, 2006

i feel the earth move under my feet

wednesday February 1, 2006

I experienced my first Japanese earthquake this evening. Our training was in session when all of a sudden my chair appeared to be moving back and forth. I informed the group we were having an earthquake, the lesson stopped as the shaking got stronger and stronger. The florescent lights above rattled a little bit then everything calmed down. I had felt a few earthquakes when I lived in Vancouver but they were always over before I realized what was happening, this was quite different.

Our trainer said it was a pretty big one. She told us that she has felt earthquakes during some of her lessons and her students have been completely oblivious. I found it quite exciting to tell you the truth. Apparently the best way to know you’re experiencing a serious earthquake is when you see the locals panic. I think I’ll start freaking out when I start seeing debris fall from the ceiling and hearing people scream…ah happy thoughts. My friend Paul was nice enough to let me know about the big HUGE earthquake that is due to hit Japan. If anything happens to me, just know that my final moments were spent in a karaoke bar singing “you’re the one that I want, ooh oooh ooh honey…” sporting black satin pants with a matching jacket accompanied by a non-scientologist dashing middle-aged emaciated non-musician. Hell yes I’m teaching English.

love
d-boughten

5 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Do you mind if live vicariously through you for a while? ;-)

It's really a different world, isn't it? I've listened to so many of Andreas' stories about his trips to Japan - there are some things that just can't be explained - pre-pubescent giggly-girls posing for pictures in the streets?

If you have any time for TV, I hear the game shows are great. :)

Your blog is lovely!

Thursday, 02 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Delphine,
It's Audrey! Irene gave my your blog address. I really like the way you write! It must be so fun to be in Japan!
Please, keep on describing ur trip and ginving us some pics.
Btw, how are you?
I didn't know there was already the last episode of six feet under! I'm only watching the 2nd season! Cela est du au decalage horaire entre Paris et Toronto!

Read you soon,
Bizzz,
Audrey

Thursday, 02 February, 2006  
Blogger Delphine Roussel said...

Krista! Thanks for reading. Every channel seems like a game show. It looks like everyone's on speed. My roommate and I played a little game the other night, we make up fake English dialogue for the characters...yes, we do this for kicks.

Friday, 03 February, 2006  
Blogger Delphine Roussel said...

Bonjour Audrey!

I'll be updating this blog as much as I can. My first work day is tomorrow so I hope that doesn't slow things down. I hope everything is going well for you in Paris!

xo
Delphine

Friday, 03 February, 2006  
Blogger msflowerlegs said...

d-boughten!
i've never felt an earthquake. now i'm jealous. but even more jealous that you have access to a plethora of karaoke bars. no Loverboy? i guess not.

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home