Friday, March 31, 2006

beware the eyes of march


My experience at the dermatologist was really cold and detached. I left there feeling like I deserved to look the way I do. Perhaps I may have been a little fragile but it felt strange.The first thing I found a little bit frustrating was that he looked at me and asked me what my problem was. I gestured up to my face and he nodded inquisitively. This is kind of how it went…


Doc - have you any allergies?
Me – not to my knowledge
Doc – are you taking any medication?
Me – no

Ok I may have told a little white lie at this point. I had taken a Sudafed earlier that morning and I was feeling a little woozy because unbeknownst to me it was a night time pill but I didn’t want to get into all of that because Sudafed, Reactin, Advil and the many drugs we have access to at home are all illegal here and well, I get caught at EVERYTHING so I lied.

Doc – is it itchy?
Me – yes
Doc – does it sting?
Me – a little bit yes
Doc – do you drink alcohol?
Me – yes
Doc – you shouldn’t because it’s bad for the skin
Me – ok

He then gestured over to the nurse and told me he was going to prescribe me an ointment for my eyes that I was to apply twice a day. The nurse gingerly dabbed my swollen eyes with a Vaseline-type goo. The doctor then told me he was going to prescribe me pills that I was to take twice a day then he sent me on my way. I paid my bill, got my prescription papers and headed down to the pharmacist. The woman at the counter gave me a form to fill out but I was completely useless. In the end I got my drugs neatly tucked in their proper paper bags. Each bag has a small digital image of the drug printed on the outside. The lady at the counter had a translation book, we communicated the twice a day dosage with hand gestures and then she asked me to look down at a translation which read ‘do not drive or operate any heavy machinery’. Check.

I’ve been in a bit of a daze since Tuesday, I didn’t take anything this morning and it’s probably good. Things are beginning to come clearer to me now, my eyes have deflated and I feel I can now ride a bicycle without any threat of injury.

Unfortunately I pinched a nerve in my back while I was in the shower yesterday, I must have been quite the sight hunched over in pain with a swollen face. Yes, this week has been quite stellar in Delphine world.

I worked from 10 – 2 today so I got to enjoy some of my afternoon off. I think I’m going to hobble down to the corner store and stuff my face with Meji chocolate almonds. I have an addiction…it’s becoming a BIG problem…pretty much a box a day. I should stop, they’re probably bad for my skin.

Listening to Band of Horses Everything All The Time

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

K1
x

Friday, 31 March, 2006  
Blogger msflowerlegs said...

aaahhh March,
in like a lamb, out like a lion!
reow! oh my poor little puffy baby!

dammit, i wish you (or the clueless docs) could deduce what causes the swollen lids.

xox

Friday, 31 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit Delphine. Y'know that happened to my grandmother once. She took something like a common cold medication over the counter type thing and woke up with lips and cheeks like....like i'dont know. but not normal. It scared me and her and when we rushed to the hospital she passed out b/c it was happening in her throat. Its an allergic reaction. Thing is, its a trip b/c the doctor said you can be so okay to something one day and then allergic another. You poor thing, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Allergies are dangerous. Be careful sweety! Oh they gave my grandmother a shot and it reversed it within hours. many kisses, Linda your trip looks beautiful.

Friday, 31 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor thing, i hope you`re getting better. maybe you`re allergic to cherry blossoms? btw, your mentioning bike riding twigged me: monday one of the girls at the second cup here looked like she`d been beaten up, bad - turns out, yes, she'd fallen on her bike. so be careful! sayonara!

Thursday, 06 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home